[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - Seat vs. Waist Harness?
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:14 am

Seat vs. Waist Harness? 
Post Seat vs. Waist Harness?
Hey all,

I'm a competitive snowboarder/ coach just getting into kiting. I'm looking at the Fusion as a harness cause its what seems to be the most prevalent, but when I watch the videos with the flips and shit- seems like all waist harnesses...

And what's up with the extended tethers for the passes?

Anyone care to give me the skinny on cost/ benefit to different setups?

Thanks!
Keith

Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:55 am

Post Re: Seat vs. Waist Harness?
Earthsurfing,

From what I've observed, waist harnesses are lighter and less cumbersome... and that's why they get used for freestyle snowkiting or anyone who wants minimalistic simplicity. The downside to waist harnesses is that they can 'ride-up', moving from one's abdomen to their lower chest, which isn't an ideal place from which to have the kite pull.

On the other hand, seat harnesses can't 'ride-up' and provide for consistent pull from the lower abdomen. The downside is that they tend to collect snow, which can become uncomfortable.

If you want to ride freestyle, I'd suggest using a waist harness. If you only want to cruise, and you want the extra support, go for the seat-harness.

Snowkite specific harnesses are being developed by Ozone & Mystic brands...

The tethers that you may have seen on the freestyle snowkite videos are used for 'unhooked' tricks, in case the rider looses the bar. These tethers kill the kite and keep it connected, but allow more freedom than the direct connection to the harness.

Hope this helps,
Eric

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 am
thanks Eric,

I didn't realize these weren't designed for snow kiting... do they come from windsurfing or do you mean they're designed for kitesurfing on water as opposed to specifically on snow?

I don't suppose I could use my climbing harness somehow?

Thanks!
K

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:47 am

ES -- My buddies and I all kite with either rock or ice climbing harnesses (w/a small locking biner) and they work well for many kinds of riding (skis and snowboards).

I've not had the problem Eric noted with snow catching in the harness, but in some conditions rock harnesses do get wet, so several of us switched to ice climbing harnesses designed to avoid that problem.

I tried the Mystic seat harness that appeared to blend the traditional kiteboard waist harness with a rock harness, but in gusty high winds the waist portion sometimes rode up onto my lower ribs, which was distracting and uncomfortable. Ozone has a similar design out that I think tries to address that problem more directly, but I haven't used it.

I'd start with the harness you have, but keep your eyes open for an opportunity to borrow a kiting harness and see it if works better for you. Perhaps others would differ, but I don't think your choice of harness at this point is going to hold you back.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:03 pm

Good Points Kayakman :!:

The most commonly used harnesses are from kitesurfing/windsurfing. Ozone's & Mystic's efforts to create a 'snowkite harnesses' have mainly been aimed at creating something to be warn outside of snow gear that have leg support...

There was a lot of talk a few years ago about how Chasta and other riders who did 'flights' wore climbing harnesses & kitesurf harnesses simultaniously in order to have a safety backup---Climbing harnesses are designed to hold a person's weight + additional stress, high above the ground, but kitesurf harnesses aren't. I think that the inspiration for 'snowkite harnesses' came from the desire to combine kitesurfing harness and rock-climbing harnesses into a cohesive design.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:00 pm
I used a waist harness last season (Dakine Tabu) but am hoping to get an Ozone harness soon to give that a try. The Tabu was okay but was bulky over a coat and pretty hot and sweaty. I never tried it under a coat but that might have been better.

I'm not too interested in even trying a bulky seat harness over a set of snowpants.
Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:20 am.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:20 am