It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

How to start/land a bow on hard packen snow 
Post How to start/land a bow on hard packen snow
Hi everyone

I have sometimes problems when kiting when its not powder snow on the ground. I use snowboard and tubekites, and the problem is that the kite slide on the snow when I trying to rig or unrig the kite.
Does anyone know any product or have any tip that will help me to kite on my own during the winter??
Help me!

Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:56 pm
Post Re: How to start/land a bow on hard packen snow
If you have not tried a snow stake... that is the ticket... you can use anything really, a traditional picket in snow, a rebar post in hardpack, or an ice screw in ice. Tie off a piece of webbing to the stake, add a carabiner to the end. Now you can hook your kite to the stake while you rig. With bows, you can hook the c-loop in, then walk out and 'set-up' the kite. The kite will wait ready to launch while you rig up.

Landing is similar, you may have to let your safety line out when you land to flag out the kite in some conditions.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:24 pm
Also, a sand bag just like on the beach!
Windzup,
Brian Schenck

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:25 pm
You can also try the "gumby" way if you forget your screw or stake at home. It'll happen sooner or later. Use the sandbag or bag of gear or snow to weight your kite down (may not be possible if the surface is really slick but worth a try), walk you lines out down wind, then when you're ready to launch, walk your bar and lines to the side and pull you kite around till the wind catches, and launch downwind (simliar to using a stake).

Then to land, this is were the "gumby" part fits in. Fly your kite to the edge of the window and use your safety release. Then reel your kite in. Seems like anything goes when your by yourself and desparate to fly, just be carefull.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:23 pm
Thanks for an answer. I have thought of the idea of a snow stake of some sort. But as I see it, you connect the stake to the kite as you wind up and connect your lines. But then???. When you walk back the lines to the bar, the kite is still connected to the stake, and there are no way to disconnect the kite when you are 30m away from the kite.

Can anyone please tell me how to use a snow stake / ice screw. :?:

Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:25 pm
Brian, sorry I didnt realize I repeated half of what you said.

Daniel, check out:

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2344221

Brian goes through this technique in more detail.
Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:20 am.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:20 am