[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - Backcountry kiting harness ideas?
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:36 am

Backcountry kiting harness ideas? 

Post Backcountry kiting harness ideas?
Hello, as most of our kiting here in AK is backcountry, meaning long distance from the road, I am trying to design a light, comfortable harness that offers similar support and protection as my Dakine Fusion seat harness.

I have used my BD Bod harness and biner, but after a long session with much air, I notice three main problems.

1. My testicles start getting pretty smashed.
2. The Bod harness offers no hip, butt, and lower back protection sported by the Fusion.
3. I really like the bar and hook system better than the biner, as the pivot of the kite is so much closer to my body.

I was thinking of taking some closed cell foam, cutting it to sit from my lower back to my butt and around my hips, then sewing cordura nylon over it and using it under my climbing harness. It could double as a butt pad on long glacier trips. Anybody done anything like this? It solves the protection problem, helps the comfort problem, and does nothing to solve the biner problem.

Any ideas? What are other people doing, for say Greenland and other ice field traverses? Is the mystic kite harness any different? I've read all the reviews, and they don't blow me away - for that much money, I think I may be able to come up with something better.

Thanks!

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:32 pm

you could try a different type of harness.

A climbing harness is designed more as a fall arrest system - ie your not sitting in it with it supporting your entire body weight all day.

You can get seat style harnesses designed for the work position system - the type tree surgeons use. They have more support and you can basically sit in them all day.

Heres a link to a few
http://www.afwarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/O ... esses.html

Obviously not a cheap option - I use a Dakine fusion seat, very comfortable but the restricted movement irritates me so i just bought a waist harness.

I thought about trying my work positioning harness but it is a bit bulky.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:27 am

just use the seat harness you're trying to emulate

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:39 am

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:52 am

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:27 am

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:43 am

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:11 pm

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:40 pm

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:38 pm

Post bc harness
hi tk i also live in ak and use a waist harness . i haven't been catchen any air yet but that should soon change . have you thought about incorperating the kite harness into the backpack waist strap? maybe a waist harness with a detachable set of leg loops ? you could sew a loop of web in the rear of the harness to attach the leg loops . you may want to replace the spreader bar with a small sailing pully ,some cord and a carabiner that would save some waight . if your chicken loop has a release built in .
well i hope this may help darren

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:22 pm